Friday, December 14, 2012

Make Me Thy Fuel--Friday's Final Things

Good Evening, Ladies,
I am sitting in a rocking chair in our family room, waiting for the girls group our church has.  We don't usually have it at our house, but this week we are.  Melissa is reading aloud from the Journals of Jim Elliot--a very good book (should we do a book review?)--and Mom is sewing.  I studied this poem awhile back in literature, and I have loved it since.  It is written by Amy Carmichael.  If you don't know much about her, I recommend you study about her life!  She is a beautiful picture of a Christian woman fulfilling God's purpose for her life.  I need say no more.

Make Me Thy Fuel
By Amy Carmichael

From prayer that asks that I may be
Sheltered from winds that beat on Thee,
From fearing when I should aspire,
From faltering when I should climb higher,
From silken self, O Captain, free
Thy Soldier who would follow Thee.

From subtle love of softening things,
From easy choices, weakenings,
Not thus are spirits fortified,
Not this way went the Crucified,
From all that dims Thy Calvary,
O Lamb of God, deliver me.

Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that burn like fire,
Let me not be a clod;
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.

~Molly
P.S.  Did you notice the title of this post--Friday's Final Things?  This is like Monday's Meals and Wednesday's Words.  If I have little things to post, this will be the day.  Generally I would want to do a poem on Wednesday, but I just wanted to share this with you as a preface to the weekend.  Friday's Final Things probably won't be too consistent either.  We like to mix things up. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I remember learning that poem! One of my favs too. And I don't know about writing that book review, but we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete